Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not able to retrive Security Event Log details from Windows 2008 R2 server

Not able to retrive Security Event Log details from Windows 2008 R2 server

Hi there,

I have successfully filtered Security event log data for one my servers which is winodws 2003 server. Then i tried to do the same for another server which is : windows 2008 R2 server but i didnt get anything at all. I then accessed the server itself to make sure there are security events and it was there, but for some reason Hyena didnt bring me any!
    Can you please help.

I have Hyena version 8.6, running on windows 7 machine, and i run Hyena using: Run as Administrator.
    --> Under my DC , select the server which is windows 2008 R2 server , for example sever X
    --> Right click and select LOGON AS, and provide the login ID for domain
    --> Right click EVENTS --> Filter Events -> select: Event Log: 'Secirity' , run the filter to show from start to end and click OK,
    --> Result: No error msg, and no data.

Administrator

Re: Not able to retrive Security Event Log details from Windows 2008 R2 server

Are you specifying criteria to filter for? If so, remove all criteria and run it again to see if you get back records. Also, as a test, right-click on the server and choose Events->Event Viewer. Does that give any errors? Can you view Security events with it?
    Chuck McCullough
    SystemTools Software Inc.

Hi there,

Yes i tried running the filter without any criteria and still didnt get any security related logs.

I got below error when i did what you suggested: Event -- Event Viewer- Windows Logs --Security
    Error:
    Event Viewer cannot open the event log or custom view. Verify that event log services is running or query is too long. Access Denied (5)

Hi there

appreciate your feedback please.

Administrator

I would have to assume the access denied issue is the reason you can't get events from that server. For some reason Windows is saying your account doesn't have sufficient permissions.
    Chuck McCullough

Thanx Admin,

How come this is the issue? becuase i can use the same login ID to access remotly onto the server and view the concerned security logs .. its just through Hyena am not able to get the needed details, but i can view for example Application Logs from Hyena!
    So i dont think its a privilege issue.
    Appreciat eyour further investigation into this plz.

Just want to update u
    i just went through all the servers in my domain n tried to access Security Event Logs and i found that some servers i am able and some i am not able !! but even the ones i am not able, i can view application Logs in event view, its only Security Logs i cannot.

Appreciate your feedback Hyena Team plz

Administrator

It sounds like a permissions issue of some sort. You got access denied trying to view them with Event Viewer, so Hyena is probably running into the same issue.
    Chuck McCullough

Originally posted by cmccullough:
    It sounds like a permissions issue of some sort. You got access denied trying to view them with Event Viewer, so Hyena is probably running into the same issue.

Hi there,

Its only using Hyena i cannot get access to these secuirty event logs! but i can check all events accessing the server directly using same login as i provide in Hyena.
    Also how can i access applications and not access security logs of these servers! Its not access permission issue i beleive .. it is some thing to do with some setting maybe to allow Hyena to read such logs!

For same machines if i try to run some default WMI query then i get errors msg saying: RPC server not found or not available..does that help u to help me?